Friday, January 22, 2010

One of the hardest to do.

One thing about my line of work (for those of you who don't know, I am a Registered Nurse) is that death is one of the things you have to deal with on a fairly regular basis. Over the past years, I have formed a very special patient/nurse relationship with many whom I have looked after and this also extends to the members of their families as well. Just after Christmas, one of my long aquainted families lost the patriarch of their family after a long battle with Cancer. Although we all knew what the eventual outcome would be, it still does not stem the sense of hurt and loss that you feel.

I wanted to make a card for the widow that reflected both my sentiments and the personality of her husband. I made 2 as I was unsure of which direction I would go in.

In the first card....I went back to my quilling roots and used a technique called Combing to make a Cross out if 3mm white quilling paper.This was glued onto a textured blue piece of Bazzil CS. I then punched some hearts to make the rose in the centre, punched some leaves, added a crystal bead and a sticker sentiment. Here is the result.



For the second card, I turned to my stamps. I had seen this card on SCS and thought it could reflect a sympathy sentiment as well. The gentleman was a big fan of nature and showed strength to the very end. I started with a base of SU Ballet Blue (BB) and Night of Navy (NON). The Soft Summer set has a wattle like image which I felt was perfect. I stamped off the main image in BB (inking directly was too strong for a sympathy card) onto Very Vanilla CS and then did the outline of NON. I matted the image onto a piece of silver shimmer paper and added 3 silver brads, then onto a NON base. I also paper pierced for the first time. The sentiment was stamped in NON and is from the Heartfelt Thanks SU set. I was wrapped with the result. So much so...that this was the one that the family received.




I hope you to can find inspiration from a person's card and then see it in a slightly different way.

Thanks for dropping by and have a fantastic, inspired day.

Stuff used:
Card 1:
CS: Blue Bazzil
Paper: 3mm white quilling paper, blue paper fm stash to make the rose and leaves.
Punch: CP1 Heart and Leaf
Sticker: Upkit "With Sympathy"

Card 2
CS: (SU) Ballet Blue, Night of Navy, Very Vanilla, Stardream Silver (fm Alice's).
Ink: (SU) Ballet Blue, Night of Navy.
Stamp Sets: (SU) Soft Summer, Heartfelt Thanks.
Extras: Silver brads and SU Mat Pack.

Lynda xx

5 comments:

Debbie Pamment said...

WOW Lynda - that mut be tough at times! Nurses are silent heroes in sooo many ways! I'm sure the widow will be extremely touched by your gesture of friendship - and BOTH of these cards are stunning! Quilling - hmmmm - I've never tried that - will enjoy seeing what sort of things you come up with from time to time!
xXx

Bec said...

oh lynda, my heart does go out to you.. i do know what you mean about making those special bonds.. as i made some of them with some silver chain nurses that use to come and look after my mum.. I do send you a bug hug..

The cards you have made for this are stunning.. Bec xx

Kerry Parkinson said...

Both amazing cards, the quilled one is especially elegant. Fantastic job on something that can be difficult at times.

Cheryl said...

These are gorgeous Lynda!!! It takes a special person to be a nurse and you are obviously that person!! As you say, you become close to those people you look after.And, for you to go that extra step and make them a card from the heart,is something that they would treasure and appreciate!!
xx

Tanya Kitto said...

Hugs & sunshine coming from the West Coast to you!!!!!
I do love bothe of your creations Lynda, the first is very very clever & I will be looking into the hearts to create a flower...sounds interesting & I do love the end affect. I also do love the second card, paper piercing is wonderful isn't it....such a simple, cheap & effective embellishment :)
Thanks so much for sharing part of your life with us
Hugs
Tan xox