Saturday, January 16, 2010

1 card....2.looks!!

My Dad recently celebrated his b'day and as usual....male cards can be tough for the best (and worst) of us. I have my standard fall back colours...blues...brown....neutrals. This time I turned to my (ever expanding) pile of DSP's (double sided papers OR Designer Series Papers).

I also got out a stamp that I have had for some time, the 'Weathered' background stamp (BGS) from SU. BGS's are great for filling a plain gap or just adding a bit of interest at the back of another stamp. A lot of thought (perhaps too much) went into the layout of this card. The thing that happens when you think too much....boo-boos happen!! On the upside.....fm blunders...other creative opportunities happen.

I punched out the 1 1/4 squares and then laid them under the BGS to get the design going. I then got out my trusty SAMJ and stamped the fleur-de-lis. In my haste....I accidently stamped the image going 2 ways.....one BGS vertical...and then horizontal. One thing led to another...and these are the results.







If you look closely the BGS runs horizontally on one card and vertically on the other. Same card...but slightly different feel. The other glitch was the Choc chip larger square. It got lost on the upper part of the card.....solution...co-ordinate another colour (in this case Old Olive) and split the difference in the middle. Here it is up close




I finished it off by repeating the direction of the BGS on the top half of the card and dragging out my much neglected rub-ons. There you go.......from the procrastinations of a stuff up....came another....and if I do say so myself...not so bad 2nd card. So don't sweat the stuff ups....breathe...take a look and see what comes up!!

Stuff used:
Card: (SU) Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, Whicper White.
Paper: (SU) Windsor Knot DSP
Stamps: (SU) Carte Postale, Weathered Background Stamp
Inks: (SU) Chocolate Chip, Mellow Moss
Punches: (SU) 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 Square Punch.
Other: Rub-ons (from I can't recall where)

Lynda xx

6 comments:

Kerry Parkinson said...

Love this card darl, it is so elegant in a masculine kinda way! Great work on fixing the stuff ups!!! xx

teresascreativecards said...

Hi Lynda, I love this card, it's so striking, a great masculine card.

Teresa

Debbie Pamment said...

There's no such thing as a stuff up - just a chellenge in the making - LOL. These have worked out fabulously!
xXx

Jenny said...

Love these cards Lynda! There is never any stuff-ups in creating!!!

You've been a busy girl. I love those boxes you did. Still have to try one.

Jenny xx

Bec said...

gorgeous card lynda.. i love that colour combo.. bec xx

Tanya Kito said...

Oh but they aren't called stuff-ups, they are creative outlets & inspiration & I have them allllll the time :)
Thanks for pointing out the old olive & choc chip situation, I didn't even see; but then again maybe I should be in bed instead of on the comp while away enjoying the relaxing time of holidays by the sea, with lots of (not too hot) sun, eating out or being cooked for, bakery just down the road & not worries......(oh no I"m not trying to rub it in.......much....lol)
Hugs & thinking of you while I'm relaxing
Tan xox