Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Totally Out of my Comfort Zone

A bonus post for you all!! (scroll down for the other post today)

The folks at Our Creative Corner have set another great challenge for this week. You can read up on it here. Now there is a back story to this card. I have shown you some cards in the past for my cousin's daughter here and a couple of other places. She is 16 tomorrow and I still am amazed by her. She was born at 28 weeks and was not really expected to survive 2 days.....yet here she is 16 years on and still going strong. Sh has many special needs and I so admire the strength and resilience of my Cousin and family and the way she has raised her. Her cards have always had colour and texture as her eyesight is not fantastic. With all this in mind, I went with butterflies. This is the picture that OCC set for the challenge....


This is the card I made.....


As you can see, I drew inspiration from the colours, the flowers on the DP  are similar to the ones on the table and the texture of all the lollies, icings and food on the table. Now because I am also very literal with my cards sometimes too (surprising right!) there are 16 butterflies used in the construction of this card.



I added dimensionals under a couple of the butterflies so she could feel them 'flying' on the card.


Notice the other thing about this card.....NO STAMPING!!!!! Now the things that took me way out of what I felt comfortable with were 1 - the colour palate....I don't do corals/oranges hardly at all....let alone combine it with blues!!! and 2 - the fact that I did not use stamps. Felt really odd.

Thanks for popping by. Why don't you go over to Our Creative Corner and challenge yourself.

Stuff used:
CS: (SU) Baja Breeze, Groovy Guava (ret) and Foof-a-La Paper (Savannah - Ambrosia # 47090)
Ink: NONE
Stamps: NONE
Other bits: SU Beautiful Wings Embosslit die, PortaCraft Ice Blue Rhinestones, Cuttlebug Olivia Alphabet, Dimensionals

Lynda xx

8 comments:

TraceyDC said...

The close up pics look even more spectacular. Excellent job!!!

Helen Williams said...

Very sweet card for a very special girl.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Hi hun! What a sweetie! And ... perhaps it is out of your comfort zone ... but it is a masterpiece!!! The colours are sooo gorgeous! You have excelled once again! Hugs xxx

AB. said...

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. The colours on your project are gorgeous!!! :)

Jenny Hayward said...

Lynda this is absolutely awesome. You rock girl!!! I love all those butterflies and I'm sure the sweet 16 year old will love it!

Well Done xx

Judy said...

Thanks Lynda for the kind comments you left on my blog. I have been looking at your blog and I really love all the cards you have made - they are fabulous. I can see that I may have to case some of them in the future!!

Tui Nathan said...

OMG .... Lynda, this is awesome, I love the colours they are perfect for a "sweet 16", and the 16 butterflies ... well, what more can I say ... A beautiful card, for a beautiful 16 year old!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Such a gorgeous way to use those colors...I love it! Thanks for playing along with Our Creative Corner!