Monday, September 3, 2012

Hoot of a Card!!!

Morning all and welcome to Spring!!!! (insert wee happy dance and beaming grin!!)
 
Before I share today's card with you I have to send out a MASSIVE thank you to Katie Ridden for the inspiration. Since birth of bubba #2....most of her creative works are shared on Facebook here. We met a couple of years back on a creative forum...and our daft senses of humour were a PERFECT match.
 
Katie's creations are brilliant, and with 2 younguns under 5...she has her finger on the pulse of all things kiddy related. i made a particular mental note when one day she sat down and created these.....
 

Now for those not all knowing in the "real young-uns" area....the above are punch art creations of Hootabelle and Hoot the Owl. Hoot has his own programme on the ABC here in Australia (Giggle and Hoot).

Now (again) one of the doctors at work, well his niece was turning 1 and she is MAD about all things Hoot....to the point where her party was totally Hoot themed!!! He asked if I could make her a special card. I immediately thought of Katie's effort. This is what I came up with.....


There was a lot of research into all things Hoot. He has a special set of drawers in his house and this is what I based the card around. Here are a couple of close ups of the card....




 
 
I tried to get the drawers as close to authentic as possible using EF's and some checkered DSP with a slight marker adjustment to make the squares bigger. I stamped the Weathered BGS in Versamark to add a bit of texture to all the brown space.
 
Under the "Happy Birthday" there is the "splat" from Extreme Elements in very light pink. (sorry about the dodgy pic). The card is known as a Side Step card. There are many tutorials around, but I used this one here by Jackie Topa.
 
 
When I gave it to the doctor in question, I was MOST stunned and shocked by his reaction. I am not really THAT tech savvy (he is about a decade younger than myself and STREAKS ahead!) He snapped a pic on his iPhone, sent it to his fiancee, she sent a text back and he came in whilst I was with a patient with HER reaction!! Thankfully the patient was a regular and has a brilliant sense of humour.
 
Now I have used a lot of stamp sets and punches here. I will try to list them all, but if you have any questions, please ask and I will get back to you. Thanks for popping by and making to the end of this post.
 
Stuff Used:
CS: (SU) Soft Suede, Whisper White, Pool Party, Orchid Opulence (ret) Pumpkin Pie, Pink Pirouette, Sahara Sand, Riding Hood Red, SU DSP (can't recall name), Optix Purple and Turquoise
Ink: (SU) Pink Pirouette, Versamark, Tempting Turquoise and Melon Mambo SWMs
Stamps: (SU) Weathered BGS, Extreme Elements, Birthday Wish
Punches: (SU) XL Owl Punch, Decorative Label Punch, Carla Craft CP8 Heart Punch, Carla Craft CP1 punch
Other Bits: Cuttlebug Olivia Alphabet, Buttons fm Big W, Mini Silver Brads (Kaiser I think), 0.05mm black felt tip for stitching, Dimensionals, Glue Dots
 
Lynda xx
 



6 comments:

Unknown said...

super cute, I love this to bits, and I am a little fan of hoot, Harry and I still say "see you in the morning hoot hoot" every night lol. Great job.

Liam said...

This is simply gorgeous. Love it.

Liam

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Three cheers for Lynda! Hoot hoot hoot! This is fantastic, Lynda! I can see why it was such a hit. Hugs xxx

Jenny Hayward said...

You have been busy lately Lynda. Great to catch up on all your creativeness.
Love these little 'Hoot' owls. You have done an awesome job.

xx

Katie said...

Gorgeous Lynda and glad I could be inspiration for you, you always have lots of inspiration for me.

Love the stepper card and the drawers, great idea since it is Hoots bedroom. Great work. Glad the recipent appreciated all your hard work

Anonymous said...

Divine....your talents know no bounds I am very jealous :-)