Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Celebration and a Great Friend

Good morning all. I hope you'll forgive me this little story today, but I feel it is important. On this day, 13 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Irony of all ironies....it is also.....



....amazing how the universe works........isn't it??? So, today I celebrate another year living with Type 1 diabetes and all the challenges it sets. I have also been given the opportunity of crossing the paths of some amazing and wonderful people.....and this leads me to the story I wish to share with you today.

As most of you know I am a keen netballer and have played with the same core group of girls for as many as 10 years. We have shared our lives through marriages, divorces, engagements and of course babies!! One of the gals - Trish- has 2 kids, Ryan and Renee. Renee comes to see us play occsionally and she has seen me do my BSL's (blood sugar levels) and disconnect myself from my insulin pump before I take the court. I have answered her questions as to why I do what I do and as far as I was aware, all was understood. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when Trish relayed a story to me at netball one night, about an arguement that she had overheard between the kids.

Ryan and Renee were watching TV and the ad came on with Rob Palmer (the chippie fm Better Homes and Gardens who also has Type 1 Diabetes) showing how this kind of BSL monitor was the one he used and recommended. Ryan was disbelieving with some of the claims that Rob Palmer was making. At this point Renee jumped up and said...."Well MY friend Lynda has Diabetes and SHE has to do that all the TIME". She continued to let Ryan know of the way I used my pump...the whole 9 yards. Whilst having a good giggle to ourselves, I was also very touched at Renee's fervour and passion at sticking up for me. I believe deeds like this should be rewarded. Hence, to say thank you to her, I made her this card......



I had not used my Jumbo Outline Alphabet yet, so it was a good opportunity to bust it out!!! Mind you, cutting around all those letters was a challenge at times. I used up a while heap of scrap DP I had accumulated.


I popped the butterflies up on dimensionals so it looked like they were flying.


 


I also did the same to the middle of the flower.



I received a beautiful e mail back from Trish letting me know how much Renee loved the card and how it has been put in a very special place in her room. It was something I was MORE than happy to do.

Thanks for indulging me this special story. As promised...the next couple will be sharing some Christmas cards I have done. Have a great day.

Stuff used:
CS: (SU) Almost Amethyst, Whisper White, Tea Party DP and Regal Rose DP fm the Designer Paper II series pack.
Ink: (SU) Pink Passion, Almost Amethyst, Pretty In Pink, SWM's in Almost Amethyst and Summer Sun.
Stamps: (SU) Pick A Petal, Wonderful Favourites, Butterfly Prints, Jumbo Outline Alphabet
Punches: (SU) Butterfly Punch, Carla Craft 1/2" Circle to do centre of flower.
Other Bits: Dimensionals, Pink and Purple 1/2 Pearls fm Bizzy Becs.

Lynda xx



4 comments:

Kerry Parkinson said...

Is it appropriate to say Happy Anniversary? It's such Karma to be on this day! I know only a taste of what you have been through, so I applaud with sincerest wishes your reaching this milestone. And a HUGE hooray for the genius who invented insulin pumps - Lozzie loves hers and it certainly improved her life a mere 20 months ago. Here's hoping they keep making progress on the cure. Love and best wishes xxxx Kez

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

AAAwwwww ... that is such a sweet story! I can't begin to imagine what it is like to live with diabetes ... but I think you are amazing ... and have such a positive outlook on life! I am sending you a big "anniversary" hug ... and hoping that you continue to remain stable ... and don't have any more of those nasty events of earlier in the year!
((((((((Lynda))))))))
Hugs & kisses, honey! xxaxx

Jenny Hayward said...

Thanks for sharing this story Lynda! It's amazing how much kids take in. That's such a nice gesture to send the card. It is really lovely and I can see why she loved it!!

Hugs to you,
Jenny xx

Kim Tonnet said...

Wow Linda, this post surprised me...I was also diagnosed in 1997 as a young-ish adult rather than child/teenager. A few mths ahead of your (my date not quite as ironic). Had assumed you'd been at the the whole scene longer. Still, we got the better deal, less years for potential complications, eh? Having had breast cancer, I would choose IDDM over it BUT IDDM is a constant variable. I'd love a holiday from it :) Take care, KimT